"Alice came to a fork in the road.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' responded the
Cheshire Cat.
'I don't know,' Alice answered.
'Then,' said the Cat, 'it doesn't
matter.'"
[Lewis
Carroll - Alice in Wonderland]
People often ask me: "Why are you
going back?" I always answer that I'm not going back anywhere, I'm going
somewhere different. They don't understand. What I hear in response is "you're going back to a foreign land." Like that's possible.
For the uninformed, I'm not leaving because I hate
Brazil, because I think somewhere else will be better (ok, maybe I do). It has
nothing to do with my country, its culture, and the shit that happens here.
News fresh: shit happens EVERYWHERE. I'm not going for the place as much as I'm
going for my own sake, my own sanity. I need change. I crave it, love it. No,
I'm not talking about scary, life-threatening change. I've experienced that,
and it's the very opposite of the change I seek.
I know we need to reinvent ourselves. I've read what Gandhi said about us being the change we want to see, over and over and over again. I just cannot do it.
Not yet anyways. Maybe someday I'll learn to make little changes in my life and
live happily with those. Just not now, not yet.
I haven't figured out what exactly I want out of life
(man, I'm behind in this game), but what I want isn't here. Sometimes I wish
somebody would point the way, the easy way, but most of the time I just want to
figure things out on my own, make my own mistakes, those amazing fixable
mistakes we so often make in life.
"You can steer yourself any
direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And
YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."
[Dr Seuss - Oh, the
places you'll go]
I can't find peace in the quiet simplicity of the
known, the predictable. How many times have I heard people say they wish they
were as brave and adventurous as I am, and inside I'm always thinking it takes
a lot more courage to stay, to settle down, to dare and be happy within the
borders of your homeland. I'm beyond borders (movie title cliche, sorry). I get
bored way too easily.
Honestly? It's not always fun! After all, as Maya
Angelou's written "the ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where
we can go as we are and not be questioned." I've chosen the exact
opposite, at least for the time being. I'm going places where I'll always be
questioned. I've chosen to always feel saudade. So much for the challenge.
Well, I leave for Canada in 2 days with no idea of
what it will be like, and, against all odds, I'm feeling calm. The calm before
the storm, maybe. I've done all the freaking out I possibly could already. It's
come the time to focus on what the near future will bring, and be practical.
2012 has been one heck of a year. So much has changed.
Remember they said the world would end this year? Maybe it will indeed.
Individually. Everyone gets an end... and a new beginning. I'm sure I've gotten
both. It's been a wonderful ride, with quite a few bumps. I've learned so much. I've learned lessons that, hopefully, I will remember in the years
to come.
In all seriousness, if Canada sucks, it might, you
never know, I'll just pack my bags and come back to the comfort of a place I've
known and loved my whole life, or I'll steer in a completely different direction
and move into the weirdness of new place, one that doesn't, in any way, resemble
the ones I know. I'll report it
all.
"Coisa que gosto é poder partir sem ter planos, melhor ainda é
poder voltar quando quero"
[Milton Nascimento e Fernando Brant - Encontros e
Despedidas]

No comments:
Post a Comment