March 5, 2011



There's a scene in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, after the tango dance when they are driving back home to take one another on, in which John tells Jane something  I think is genius. Granted I think the whole film is genius. I've watched it time and time again and then again after I've just watched it and then extras and the whole thing again. It's genius, period. In flying-curve-making bullets it's only beaten by Wanted, another Jolie starred action flick. So back to point, John tells Jane "I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning." Genius, right? I think so too. It so happens that I too, being so close to the end, have started thinking about the beginning. 

My coming and staying for close to 3 years in the US have been a long tiring battle with a deficient, absurd immigration system, which I've given up on and one that I don't want to think about for the rest of my days. But long before that I had to learn English. Learning English was a battle in itself. Oh, how many times have I banged my head on my computer's keyboard in absolute, overwhelming frustration. So today, in a conversation about penguins (who talks about penguins? Well, you do when you live in Chicago and temperatures drop from 50F to 0F in a matter of seconds), I remembered that when Happy Feet came out in 2006 (not so long ago, huh?) I made an association between the penguins in the movie and its title and concluded that happy feet must mean "pinguins felizes" (happy penguins, feet would equal penguins in Portuguese). To top it off, couple years after, Lost had just become the big hit it is in Brazil and I didn't have the slightest idea of what the word "lost" meant. I pretended to in trying to be cool, but was as lost as the sky is high when people talked about the show around me. 


I suppose my English has gotten better, has it not? 

And there are endless other stories I start to think about as I get close to the end; some hilarious, some not worth telling, some infuriating, some nonsensical, some involving smarty pants and others involving clueless Americans... but in the end it all comes down to memories, and hopefully that, and not the senile American immigration system, is what will stick. 

1 comment:

  1. Am I your biggest fan or what? I do not remember it as clear as you do, but you told me once you had doubts using do and does, my point is, you became such a great speaker that if I didnt know you I would think you were a native speaker, which sometimes I do think. lol Love you, irmonga! You are such a winner and deserve all the best. Congrats on this battle! Like I told you many times before, I wanna be just like you when I grow up! :) Now get your ass in Brazil! This country needs people as smart as you are!! Love you! xx

    ReplyDelete